Lip Piercing Care:
Lip piercing generally takes 6-10 weeks to heal. It is very rare to develop an infection because the mouth has the natural ability to fight off bacteria.
Lip piercing signs of infection:
You may experience some swelling, redness, scabbing, tenderness, and possibly bleeding. But don’t worry about all this. These are all natural occurrences in the lip piercing healing process.
Here are some basic tips about aftercare of lip piercing:
- Avoid eating, smoking and drinking within the first three hours of the piercing.
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and drugs before and after getting pierced, and till the wound is completely healed.
- Wash your hands frequently, and any time if you are going to touch the piercing. This will significantly reduce your chances of getting an infection.
- Do saline soak twice a day.
- Use a new soft-bristled toothbrush and keep it clean.
- You should brush twice a day to remove food particles that could get into the wound and cause an infection.
- Always keep your mouth sanitized. This should be done after eating, smoking and drinking.
- Avoid oral sexual till the wound is completely healed.
- Do rinse your mouth with a mouthwash after meals or eating. For the first 2 weeks you should suck on antibacterial/anti-inflammatory throat lozenges (Difflam-C), these reduce the chance of infection and reduce swelling.
- Ibuprofen will help keep the swelling and tenderness to a minimum, and can be taken when needed for pain.
- Avoid sharing plates, cups, and eating utensils.
- Vitamin B with Zinc helps in quick healing process. It is better, if you start taking this vitamin a few months before you get the piercing done.
- Do eat things such as frozen yogurt, ice cream, cold foods, or suck on chipped or crushed ice, or very small ice blocks for the first 2 weeks. Cold things help the healing, alleviate pain and reduce swelling.
- Dry with disposable paper products such as gauze or tissues, because cloth towels can harbor bacteria and catch on new piercing causing injury.
- Avoid submerging in bodies of water such as lakes, pools, etc.
- Don’t remove or replace the jewellery during the healing period, as the hole closes up very quickly and it’s painful to reinsert the jewellery once this happens.
- If it becomes necessary for you to remove the piercing, then the best thing to do is to go to your piercer to have it taken out.
How to Keep the Area Clean:
Wash your hands thoroughly before cleaning the area. Gently and completely cleanse the area with antibacterial soap and water first. Using a, cotton ball or tissue, gently remove any debris have formed around the piercing. This should be done twice a day.
How to Keep Your Lip Piercing Jewelry Clean:
Your jewelry can also carry bacteria and needs to be cleaned properly. Lather the piercing with your fingers thoroughly and rinse completely with warm water. Turn the piercing carefully up and down. Avoid cleaning the area or piercing with alcohol or peroxide. This could harm or kill the tissue that needs to heal. Simply use an antibacterial soap with warm water.
Follow a Standard Oral Hygeine:
Following a standard oral hygeine is more important in the after care of lip piercing. Brush and floss twice a day. This will prevent the food particles from getting into the piercing and causing an infection. Rinsing your mouth with salt water can also help in keeping your mouth clean and sanitized.
Avoid Touching the Piercing without Washing Your Hands:
Avoid touching the lip piercing jewelry without washing your hands. This will greatly reduce the risk of an infection. This also applies to your friends if they are interested in touching the piercing jewelry. It is recommended to refrain from kissing during this time.
If you have any problems with the piercing, do consult your dentist. Your dentist can check your lips, tongue, teeth and see if you have any problem. He/she can also suggest you the after care of lip piercing.
The key to have a good lip piercing is to select a good studio. If your friends or colleagues have had a safe lip piercing, do enquire about the studio from where they have got the piercing from. After making the list of studios, do visit the studios personally. See if the studio is clean, and if the needles are sterilized. You can also ask for a health certificate of the studio. Select the studio only if it satisfies you and if they people are willing to answer all your questions. As lip piercing can lead to complications if not properly done, selecting a good studio is important.